Thursday, October 2, 2014

More classes...

Yesterday was my first day with the 4 ESO students (high school level students). I am part of the technology class, to help them learn the English words of the things they use. So, for this class I don't take them away to practice English, I get to stay in class and learn things too. It's more than just technology, though. Now they are learning about how their houses are built, so yesterday they were starting from the bottom up and learning how the foundation is made. They got to mix up some concrete and set it into wood boxes they made to set. It is made of cement, sand, pebbles/rocks and water. Then they learned about different tiles and bricks used to make the floors and walls of houses. I thought it was interesting, since they use brick partisan tiles for the interior walls and bricks for exterior walls and we usually use wood and drywall. Even their floors are made of these huge hollow bricks that fit together and are on support beams.
While the students were mixing up the concrete I got to chat with a student, who is new to this school this year and doesn't know any English. Well, besides a few song lyrics ;) She was super enthusiastic though, and really wanted to learn English from me so we could chat. Nuria said she doesn't try that hard to learn English in class and that it's just because she wants to be friends with me that she puts in so much effort with me. I believe she is 15, maybe 16, and is very petite. I keep having the urge to pick her up since she is so little, but don't worry... I restrain myself.


 


Later in the day I had class with the P3s, the 3 year olds. I can't really hold lessons at that age, it's more like daycare. So I just read stories and play with a puppet monkey "Cheekey Monkey" with the kids. This group is harder for me, since they all end up trying to grab whatever I am holding and showing them, and try to climb on me to get at it. Not really my cup of tea. Oh well, I'll get used to it eventually. I just can't imagine being their regular teacher and having to potty train a whole bunch of kids at the same time.

For all of the 3-6 EP classes I've had, we are doing an English assessment the first couple of weeks. I take two kids at a time and show them pictures that they need to describe, a pair of pictures they need to look at and describe differences, and talk a little. Then I mark down what they could and couldn't do. Once all of the kids are done I'll be turning in all the info to their English teachers. I feel bad for the kids that aren't very good at English, because they'll talk to each other and clearly know what they are supposed to do, but can't think of the words in English. They get so flustered.

Today I had class with the 4 ESO students again, and since some of them weren't in class yesterday (because they were in Latin class) I just took those kids out to a different room since they hadn't met me yet. So they got to ask questions, as well as answer questions I had. This class is nice, because I don't really need to prepare anything, I just need to get them talking. So whatever subject interests them is a good subject. It is very laid back. They seemed to like it, since when time was up and I told them we were done they groaned like they didn't want to leave. I'm not sure if that was because they liked chatting with me, or just because they didn't want to go to their other classes. Either way, I like that they like my class more than the others.

Apparently there was a mistake on my schedule, so I am supposed to come at 10 on Thursdays, not 10:30. At least I still get to sleep in.

No comments:

Post a Comment