Saturday, November 29, 2014

Alexander and Thanksgiving week

To celebrate Avril's birthday with her friends (since the previous parties were all only with family) we went to a movie and then to McDonalds for dinner. We went to this huge movie theater and saw Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Of course, the movie was in Spanish, so I got to attempt to understand it. Luckily, since kids are the target audience for this movie, they used very simple language so I was able to understand most of it. Most of it was physical humor, as well, so that helped me out. Plus some lip reading. It was a good movie, better than I thought it would be. 
 


 Check it out... there was a playground in the theater! So after the movie the kids played for awhile while we adults chatted.
 Noelia bought this candy bouquet for Avril as dessert for everyone. I had one piece, it was very very sweet. More sugar than I'm used to ;)
 On Sunday, we went to the house in the country again to celebrate some more. I'd like this many birthday parties! Don't know if I'll even get one this year...

 The lasagna that we made cooked up great and was super yummy! Here's my awesome cheese-and-tomato-less lasagna.

During the week I had a class that was working on learning how to describe people: long hair, short hair, curly hair, straight hair, glasses, mustache, beard, big/small features... things like that. So, for an activity I had the class describe characteristics of a person to me and I drew them on the board. These are the creations the kids came up with.



 Just for the heck of it, I took a pic of the sidewalk I take when I go to school.

Last Saturday the family went to an anniversary party of one of Jose's cousins, but it was going to be a whole bunch of people I don't know, in a building where smoking is allowed (and most of them smoke) and someone else had already planned out all the food, and there were no vegetarian options. So... not a party I'd enjoy. So I stayed home and made pumpkin bread and vegan mac and cheese.
I have now been eating this mac and cheese for a full week and there is still 2 or 3 servings left. It is super filling! 

 I also made some healthy mashed potatoes during the week, since they are my favorite Thanksgiving food :)

This weekend is another lazy weekend. Noelia went to Barcelona with her sisters and the rest of us are at home. Tonight Alex is going to stay over at his friend Carlos' house and Jose and Avril may go to a movie. Maybe I'll join them... depends on the movie. Otherwise I may just stay home and knit and catch up on some podcasts, or watch some rainy day movies. I'm attempting to knit some socks, since I've only made one pair before and they turned out horrible (the shape was good, but I knit them WAY too tight so they had no stretch whatsoever). Thus far the one I've started is nice and squishy and stretchy, so hopefully they'll turn out well this time.
 
I still have no clue who my next host family will be, or when I am supposed to switch families. I think it won't be until after New Years, but I'm really not sure. Anna, one of the English teachers has offered to have me join her for xmas, and I feel bad not being able to say for sure whether or not I'll be joining her. It would be nice if I do change houses before xmas, since I wouldn't know the new family as well as I know her, but if I'm still with this family it would be nice to have xmas with them. I guess we'll wait and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment